Yegrb 06 Notes
layout: default\ title: YEGRB 0.6 Notes\ category: meetups\ —-\ h1. House Keeping
- The first Apps4Edmonton contest was a great success with 36 apps entered
- 5 applications identified as build using Ruby
- Congratulations to all the apps, especially
BenZittlau":http://twitter.com/benzittlau, "RyanOnRails, and
gabain":http://twitter.com/gabain) and "TXT.2.ETS":http://seanhealy.ca/post/443093821/txt-2-ets ("SeanHealy and \@JoelJackson) for their winning entries!
- Rails 3 has been officially released
- We’ll have a full introduction at a meetup soon
- Lot’s of good documention on the official blog
- RVM goes 1.0
- Daniel will go over RVM and what it is later
- Ruby 1.9.2 released
- Beta of Passenger 3
- Devise 1.1.x
- Our mandate is to connect ruby users in Edmonton
- We’ve created a google group to do this between meetups
- Membership is moderated but posts aren’t
- Visit the group at http://groups.google.com/group/yegrb
- It was suggested that we use an IRC bot instead, will explore this
- RailsRumble is a 48-hour hackathon on Oct 16th-18
- Lot’s of great prizes and sponsors
- Three teams have registered from the meetup
- Both teams still looking for one more member
- Thanks to the designers who came out!
- Will contact ENTS about providing a space teams can use over the weekend
- Check out the apps built during the RailsRumble
- Show off your nodejs, canvas, and HTML5 skills
- Submit your talks soon as this is going to be a popular meetup!
Using CSS frameworks by \@benzittlau
Adding OpenID to your app by \@cbrulak
RVM: Ruby goes to 11! by \@darkhelmetlive
Daniel revealed the secrets of using RVM to isolate your ruby virtual machines. He also showed some examples of typical workflow, including how use gemsets to isolate the gems installed on different projects. Check out his slides for a recap.
Vlad: The Deployer by \@nathany
Nathan stepped in at the last minute and put together a great introduction to deploying your apps with Vlad. Hit him up on Twitter if there’s anything you missed.